Why Train With Us?

Outstanding Training 

Judged as an Outstanding provider by Ofsted in all of our inspections

Outstanding Support

Consistently ranked in the top 5 of Teacher Training Providers nationally

Outstanding Prospects

Employment rates of graduates are amongst the highest in the country

The best possible start to their teaching career’ Ofsted 2016

Why Train With Us?

Outstanding Training 

Outstanding Support

Outstanding Prospects

Distinctive Features of the DPSCITT Programme

Our course is centred around 3 core features:

Personal & Personalised

“Outstanding personalised training, professional development and pastoral support.” (Ofsted, 2016)

Our vision is for trainees to become the teachers that they want to be – using their skills, passions and personalities. Our ‘class-sized’ cohort ensures there is a range of experiences and personalities in the group to build effective relationships and enhance everyone’s learning. Our approachable Director and Deputy Director are available at the centre, visit trainees in school, and provide 24/7 support via phone and email. In school, having a school-based tutor, as well as a class teacher, means that trainees benefit from wider opportunities and expertise, to build on their individual strengths and needs. Each week, tutors agree personal targets and arrange specific support, including focused observations of other teachers and meetings with subject leaders.

Connected and Applied Learning

“This dynamic training programme is carefully tailored to meet the needs of each trainee and develops in them a comprehensive range of personal and professional skills that give them the best possible start to their teaching career.” (Ofsted, 2016)

Our course is very carefully structured, with specific school-based tasks designed to apply and extend learning from each centre-based training session. Through further discussions with peers, trainees effectively learn from 40 classrooms! Central training is interactive and devised so that trainees develop their subject knowledge and understand the theory and research behind effective classroom practice. Teaching, learning and assessment strategies are modelled explicitly and applied to specific classroom situations. Key themes are woven through the school and central training, with analogies and practical illustrations used to support and embed learning.

Learning Conversations

Learning conversations, which adopt a coaching approach to trainees’ professional development, are at the heart of this outstanding training programme.” (Ofsted, 2016)

Through individual coaching from school and centre-based staff, trainees are supported to develop their teaching identities and develop all aspects of their classroom and professional practice. Following regular lesson observations, trainees receive very detailed feedback and also engage in focused learning conversations. These develop trainees’ understanding and help them to become reflective practitioners, building firm foundations for successful careers.

“Trainees and mentors say that the learning conversations not only improve their teaching practice but that they also promote and support their emotional health and wellbeing.” Ofsted, 2016.

Personal & Personalised

Connected and Applied Learning

Learning Conversations

Placements in schools across Devon

The DPSCITT partnership comprises 50 primary schools throughout Devon which are shown below. 

DPSCITT trainees spend the autumn and summer terms in their ‘School A’, in their chosen key stage, and the spring term in their ‘School B’ in the opposite key stage. All trainees are allocated a school-based tutor who, along with the class teacher, provides ongoing support and guidance each week.

The commitment of our partner schools means that trainees are welcomed as part of the team and benefit from the expertise of all staff.

Whilst we can not guarantee placements in specific schools, we always consider individual needs when placing trainees, and are almost always able to ensure both placements are within a maximum of 30 minutes travel time of trainees’ homes. 

Placements in schools across Devon

Schools in North Devon: Appledore, Bishops Tawton
Great Torrington Bluecoats, Holsworthy Primary,
Ilfracombe Juniors, Landkey Primary, Marwood,
Newport, Pilton Infants, South Molton,  Sticklepath

Schools in East Devon & Greater Exeter: Chudleigh, Exminster , Feniton,  Honiton, Kenn, Kenton, Landscore (Crediton), Littletown, Newton Poppleford, Ottery St Mary, St Martin’s (Cranbrook), St Michael’s (Exeter), St Peters (Budleigh) ,St Sidwell’s (Exeter) Sandford, Tipton St John, Topsham, Trinity (Exeter), Willowbrook, Withycombe Raleigh

Schools in South Devon (towards and in Plymouth): Elburton, Goosewell, Leigham,  Lipson Vale, Manor, Oakwood, Riverside,  South Brent,  Thornbury,  Weston Mill, Widey Court, Woodlands Park

Schools in South Devon (towards and in Torbay): Bishopsteignton, Bradley Barton, Collaton St Mary, Decoy,
Roselands, Shaldon

Special (SEND) Schools : Bidwell Brook, Ellen Tinkham, Newport CAIRB, Pathfield School

From Our Former Trainees

Alannah (2019)

This has been such a phenomenal journey. There is a considered and tried-and-tested thread throughout the whole year. I felt prepared, forewarned and reassured throughout the entire journey. 

The wealth of knowledge, experience and passion of the SCITT team is immeasurable. This is, in so many ways, such a pivotal year for us and I am particularly motivated by how passionate and inspiring the SCITT team are. This is a vocation that is developing and changing constantly and we have been shown how to teach and adapt by an incredible team.   The assignments really stretched and pushed me to my limit but they will stay with me throughout my career by instilling a reflective and research-based approach.   

Being in School A from the beginning of the year made me feel part of the teaching team and established me as a figure in the classroom.  The pastoral care and administration support is extraordinary and I want to take this opportunity to sincerely thank you for guiding me through this ‘emotional rollercoaster’ of a year. Your expectations of us are high but very clear and celebrating each step has also been part of this journey.

The DPSCITT course has been carefully crafted to provide a trainee teacher with all of the tools required to become a successful teacher. When I started my first day as a ‘real’ teacher, I had so much to draw on and felt really prepared for that moment when the children walked through the door.

Rob (2019)

The willingness of all DPSCITT staff to go above and beyond in their support of their trainees is amazing. They were always there for you. This support was also very visible in the way the subject tutors supported us as a cohort. I exchanged numerous emails with diverse tutors and all of them went out of their way to help however they could.

A real strength that I feel epitomises SCITT is that they care, not only about their trainees but about the children they are teaching on placement and will be teaching afterwards. This passion and care was inspiring to see.

I found that all the statements and the ethos behind SCITT were very visible in the day to day application of the course. I feel this is a massive strength. The quality of teaching received in all subjects, not just English and maths has been vital in preparing me for September and I feel I can already contribute something to the school I am going into with enquiry based learning in humanities.

The links between SCITT and its partner schools are very strong, professional and healthy. This has led to excellent support and a real feel of being part of that school’s teaching team for the academic year. The staff in both my placement schools went above and beyond to provide as much support as they could to prepare me to do the job once I qualified.

Donna (2020)

Trust the SCITT process: it works! I have felt supported by SCITT every step of the way. It’s like being part of a SCITT family – Kate, Sam, Helen and trainee teachers have all played their part in making me become the teacher I want to be.

The training gave me the tools in my tool box to put into practice. I particularly found the maths training and the assignment had a direct impact on my ability to teach the subject effectively in the classroom. In school, the weekly allotted time spent with my school-based tutor in both my placements gave me time to reflect on practice and improve my practice.

Going through this process has made me feel confident in joining a special needs school as a SEN Teacher. I didn’t choose the SEN school placement available on the course, but the reflection skills interwoven through the course made it possible for me to adjust and teach in any school.

I am excited about the journey ahead and also pleased to know that I will also have SCITT with me on my journey as an Early Career Teacher.

[grw place_photo=”https://maps.gstatic.com/mapfiles/place_api/icons/v1/png_71/school-71.png” place_name=”Devon Primary SCITT” place_id=”ChIJhf2X7AShbUgRuvHGIbWtfYU” reviews_lang=”en” pagination=”5″ text_size=”120″ refresh_reviews=true lazy_load_img=true reduce_avatars_size=true open_link=true nofollow_link=true]

From Our Former Trainees

Alannah (2019)

Rob (2019)

Donna (2020)

External Recognition

From our 2016 Ofsted Report

The key strengths of the primary partnership are:

• inspirational leadership that models and secures outstanding personalised training, professional development and pastoral support for trainees so that NQTs enter the profession as highly competent and confident professionals;

• the in-depth ‘learning conversations’ conducted throughout the training programme that develop trainees as highly reflective practitioners and promote effective learning for pupils in the classroom;

• trainees who are knowledgeable, reflective and resilient practitioners and able to confidently teach pupils of all abilities so that they make consistently good progress in learning;

• the well-trained school-based mentors and tutors from partnership schools who are involved in the training and development of trainees and the support and ongoing development of NQTs;

• the well-established educational research on which the training programme, which is up to date and highly practical.

A copy of our Ofsted report is available by clicking here:  DPSCITT-Ofsted-2016

From our Partner Schools

Andy Cotton

CEO, Tarka Learning Partnership

Devon Primary SCITT, as the name suggests, focuses on training in schools with the support of the centre-based staff. Theory into practice with an emphasis on training on the job ensures that Devon Primary SCITT trainees offer the critical skills needed in schools and remain the first choice for teaching posts across our partnership of schools, where we have a very significant number employed. If you want to develop the craft of teaching and be able to regularly apply your learning to the classroom, reflecting on your practice then DPSCITT will prepare you very well to enter the world of teaching.

Mike Tuckwell

School Based Tutor

I’m the School Based Tutor at Woodlands Park Primary School in Ivybridge. My role is to oversee the development of the trainees within the school. Each week I meet with the trainees in an individual seminar meeting. This may take the form of suggesting teachers to observe, helping the trainees to reflect on the lessons they have taught/observed or giving advice for helping to address their own individual needs. I feel the rigour, expectations, time spent within school and the high quality training that the SCITT course provides prepares the trainees fully for when they become qualified and have their own class. Not only that, but during the course of the year at the school the trainees become valued members of our school community.

Our Awards

NASBTT Awards 2019:

We were honoured to win the School-Based ITT provider of the Year award from the National Association of School-Based Teacher Trainers (NASBTT) in 2019.

In awarding the prize, the judging panel comprising of education and ITT experts said:

“The excellence of Devon Primary SCITT’s provision has been recognised by Ofsted in each of the four inspections they have received dating back to 2003. They have pioneered and refined the concept of learning conversations and cascaded this approach to many other providers. This programme and its leaders have also participated in system-wide leadership support activities over the past two years”

One of the judges noted:

‘This nomination identifies the three areas of quality, distinctiveness andcontribution to the wider ITT sector.It is an impressive nomination because all three of these areas have been so successful over time’.”

Accepting the award,  Andy Ogden, Strategic Lead of Devon Teaching  School Partnership and Devon Primary SCITT, said:

“ It is an honour to accept this award on behalf of Devon Primary SCITT. Behind it lies a passionate partnership of staff, heads and their schools who are fully committed to training the next generation of teachers. “

External Recognition

From our 2016 Ofsted Report

From our Partner Schools

Andy Cotton

CEO, Tarka Learning Partnership

Mike Tuckwell

School Based Tutor

Our Awards

NASBTT Awards 2019:

One of the judges noted:

Unique Partnership Recognised

Unique Partnership Recognised

NASBTT Case Study 2021

In March 2021, NASBTT also featured Devon Primary SCITT as a case study of School-Centred Initial Teacher Training.

The full case study can be viewed at: Member Spotlight – Devon Primary SCITT – NASBTT

NASBTT Case Study 2021